of children arrive at kindergarten unprepared to learn.
• Interaction with his/her environment is a key factor in determining
the ease with which a child will learn to read.
• The more words a child hears the larger the
• A 1991 study showed that parents who were given books by their
doctors were four times more likely to read and share them with
• Reading to your baby encourages the child to associate reading
with love and comfort.
• The more you talk and read to your baby the quicker the child
• The report of the commission on reading states
that “the single most important activity for building the knowledge
required for eventual success in reading is reading aloud to children.
• The key to proficiency in reading is to start early. Begin reading
to your child the day he/she is born.